Friday, October 19, 2007

Turkey, Iraq, and Kurdistan: Peaceful For Now

A terrorist organization, the PKK, says it's for Kurdish independence, among other things. The PKK has killed a few Turks.

Turkey has reason to be upset. PKK raids have killed 13 Turkish soldiers here, seven Turkish soldiers there.

So, the Turkish parliament gave the okay to invade Iraq on Wednesday of this week. I'm sure they used the proper, diplomatic, euphemism for it: but that's the bottom line. Turkey's Prime Minister says that Turkey will use "common sense" about using the 60,000 troops they've got massed on border with Iraq. (see Turkey, Iraq, and Kurdistan (October 16, 2007))

Turkey says that Iraq should clean up the PKK problem, Iraq says that they're stretched thin already, with terrorists (and crazed security guards) loose on the streets of Baghdad and elsewhere.

So far, Turkey seems to have been using the "common sense" their PM talked about. I hope that situation holds - and that no one in Turkey decides to have a shot at reclaiming the Ottoman province of Kurdistan.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.