Sunday, October 21, 2007

Iran's New Nuclear Negotiator

Iran's President Ahmadinejad presumably got more control over nuke negotiations when the Ali Larijani was quit the job - presumably so he could work on "other political activities."

I read that Larijani is more "moderate" than average in Iran's government, when it came to Iran's nuclear program. Seems to me, that wouldn't take much.

The AP says that Iran's deputy foreign minister for European and American affairs, Saeed Jalili, gets the nuke negotiator job now.

Since Jalili is supposed to be low on the ladder, talks with some collection of European diplomats presumably will be Ahmadinejad's show now.

I'm not sure how much difference it makes, who is Iran's front man in negotiations. My impression is that, however prominent a diplomat is, the diplomat doesn't determine policy. The diplomat's job is to carry out the policies of someone higher on the ladder.

Besides, this "key meeting with European negotiators" doesn't impress me as much as it might. I've gotten the impression that the current crop of European powers are very good at negotiating diplomatic talks about discussions of more negotiations.

All of which provides employment for government employees and reporters, but doesn't seem to produce much substance.

Related posts, on Individuals and the War on Terror.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.