Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Opinions, Freedom, and Sharia Law

Today's news has been full of a debate in Congress. At issue is whether or not to announce right now when U.S. troops will be pulled out of Iraq.

In a way, this display of Congressional valor may serve as an example for all. It is inspiring to watch dedicated men and women, caught up in the heat of surrender, strive to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

That's my opinion. Others have different opinions.

I've discovered quite a variety of opinions in blogs, about the conflict that some call the War on Terror.

It didn't take very long, using a small variety of search strings on Google, to come up with a small sampling of blogs on both the conservative and "moderate" side of the issue. I put "moderate" in quotes, since I'm using the term here in the contemporary, mainstream-media sense of the word. All of these blogs have their own opinion about the War on Terror (or the W** ** T*****) and related issues.

This may need to be said: I don't necessarily agree with these blogs, or the articles I cite. The citations and links are here to help you do your own research or reading.

Conservative:
Moderate:
I've wondered how many of the folks who want to end the war in Iraq, and any armed confrontation with Middle Eastern activists, have thought about what would happen if the likes of al-Zarqawi and al-Zawahiri get their way.

A world caliphate under Al Qaeda's or the Taliban's version of Sharia law would be less tolerant of diverse opinions that today's United States.

The places that have embraced Sharia law don't show a promising picture, as shown in this article: Sudan suspends publication of daily over blasphemy claim. Remember Salmon Rushdie? If not, this article might be helpful: Salmon Rushdie knighted

There's another interesting look at Sharia law at Prevent Genocide International - although I think that the organization is biased. They seem to be opposed to the violent removal of blasphemers and adulterers from a society.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.