Monday, July 23, 2007

U.S. Masses Not the Only Ones Fed Up About Iraq

"Sickened by the group’s barbarity, Iraqi insurgents are giving information to coalition forces" is how a Times reporter summed up the situation in Dura, Iraq, and other places in the country.

Dozens of Al-Qaeda members in Dura have gotten "Fed up with being part of a group that cuts off a person’s face with piano wire to teach others a lesson," according to the article.

"They are turning. We are talking to people who we believe have worked for al-Qaeda in Iraq and want to reconcile and have peace," commander of the units that oversee the area said.

One paragraph in the article illustrates a point which I believe is important.

"The increased presence of US forces in Doura, however, is encouraging insiders to overcome their fear and divulge what they know. Convoys of US soldiers are working the rubble-strewn streets day and night, knocking on doors, speaking to locals and following up leads on possible insurgent hideouts."

From a certain point of view, this illustrates the very real danger of victory, if U.S. troops remain in Iraq after April 1 of next year.

Another post on this general topic: The Senate, Military Funding, and Iraq

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.