Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Flushed Koran Angers Quran Defenders

And they've brought on hate-crime charges against the the Quran-flusher.

You've heard about it by now. A student at Pace University in New York threw a Quran in a toilet. Twice.

I'm not clear on how many Qurans were involved. The news article I read implied that the same book was used on both occasions ("he threw a Quran in a toilet at Pace University on two separate occasions"). That seems unlikely, so it looks like the student desecrated two copies of the Muslim holy book.

Tacky? Boorish? Really stupid? Yes to all three.

Hate crime? Good question. I'll leave that to the courts.

I don't blame Muslims with being upset. What that student did was unconscionable in any group claiming to be a civilized society.

As a Catholic, I'd be upset if some artist put a crucifix in urine, put the thing on display, and got taken seriously as an artist. Or decorated a picture of the Virgin Mary with dung.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations has come to the defense of the Quran in the Pace University Quran desecration. They're the same bunch that came to the defense of the Minnesota Imams who just happened to re-enact the 9/11 martyr's pre-hijacking behavior.

My guess is that the Quran-flusher is in for a lot of trouble.

And that we'll be hearing a great deal about how put-upon Muslims in the states are.

That student's exercise in self-expression was not helpful.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.