Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Attack of the Killer Doctors: Not a Joke, Now

Those "who cure you will kill you" is what an Al Qaeda leader told Anglican cannon Andrew White, The Times (UK) reported.

That's part of a longer quote: "He talked to me about how they were going to destroy British and Americans. He told me that the plans were already made and they would soon be destroying the British. He said the people who cure you would kill you."

It's not unreasonable to think that what an Al Qaeda leader said "on the fringes of" a meeting on religious conciliation in Amman, Jordan, might have something to do with the car bombings in the United Kingdom a few days ago. The majority, at least, of the alleged perpetrators were doctors or medical professionals.

Why they tried a brute-force approach to killing infidels instead of something more sophisticated, I've no idea.

The Al Qaeda leader, a man in his forties who had traveled from Syria for the meeting, apparently said that both British and Americans would be targeted because of what those countries were doing in Iraq.

Cannon White didn't discover who, and what, he was talking to until the meeting was over. And he wasn't going to tell The Times. The Episcopal Cannon did say, "I met the Devil that day."

Back to the United Kingdom, the States, and Iraq. I can understand how someone with a moral code that allows him to try setting a nightclub full of women on fire might also want the United Kingdom and the United States to stop resisting his colleagues from establishing this moral code in Iraq.

That doesn't mean that I think it's a good idea to stop trying to set up an alternative to what the men of Islam's lunatic fringe want in Iraq, and the United Kingdom, and the States. I doubt that I could ever get used to flogging my wife or commit an honor killing when one of my daughters did something I didn't approve of.

About "Islam's lunatic fringe" - I should clarify that.

I am assuming that the 'death to the Jews! death to the Great Satan America!' people have the same relationship to Islam that, say, the KKK of the 1960s had to Christianity. I hope I'm right.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.