Thursday, October 4, 2007

Islam: Salafi, Wahhabi, and That's Just a Start

The phrase "Salafist group" came up in a news item today.

The war on terror has introduced me to many new words and phrases. Looking up "Salafist group," I found what Princeton has to say about the term:
  • Salafist Group "Salafast Group for Call and Combat, GSPC (an Algerian extremist Islamic offshoot of the Armed Islamic Group; now the largest and most active armed terrorist group in Algeria that seeks to overthrow the government; a major source of support and recruitment for al-Qaeda operations in Europe and northern Africa)"
  • Salafast Group for Call and Combat, "GSPC (an Algerian extremist Islamic offshoot of the Armed Islamic Group; now the largest and most active armed terrorist group in Algeria that seeks to overthrow the government; a major source of support and recruitment for al-Qaeda operations in Europe and northern Africa)"
From another source, I found more detail and background about Salafi Islam. Here's a very brief summary of part of what I found there.
  • Salafi: Muslims who believe that they are following Islam as it was in the first three generations.
  • Wahhabi: A particular group within those who are Salafi.
  • Muwahhidun: ("Unitarians," or "unifiers of Islamic practice") the term which followers of Salafi use to describe themselves.
Not all Salafi are terrorists. Many are very firm in their beliefs, but not violent. There isn't an equivalent in the Christian tradition, but it's somewhat as if a sect of Shakers decided to force simplicity on unbelievers with roadside bombs.

I discussed some branches of Islam in August, including Salafi Islam, Wahhabi Islam, and the Muwahhidun.

Related posts, on Islam, Christianity, Religion, Culture and the War on Terror.
Related posts, on tolerance, bigotry, racism, and hatred

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.