Friday, October 17, 2008

Marines Abandon Fallujah!!! (Or, Let's Keep Quiet About This)

Don't tell anybody, but it looks like the "Surge" worked. Marines are moving out of Fallujah.

Fall of Saigon, unknown sourceIt's not like the fall of Saigon, or this withdrawal would have gotten more coverage. Vietnam: now that was a war! Best of all, from one point of view, there was that dramatic climax in Saigon, showing the futility and human cost of American imperialistic militarism. Or Militaristic, imperialistic, Americanism. Or imperialistic American militarism. Or whatever.

There's been so little violence around Fallujah and elsewhere in the Anbar province, that Marine Major General John Kelly decided it was time to go. Now that the local and regional authorities can handle the situation, the Marines are quietly leaving. Mission accomplished. For now, at any rate.

Odds are pretty good that you haven't read about this in the news. It isn't anywhere near as important, from some points of view, as the trial of a Marine. He's accused of murdering someone. Now, that's news!

Suppressing Surge Success: Some Kind of Plot?

I do not believe that news organizations around the world are engaged in some conspiracy to keep us from knowing The Truth. If I did, I'd probably assume that CNN and the BBC were part of the 'vast right-wing conspiracy,' for their 'cover-up' of the 'real' "Joe the Plumber" story.

I do think that reporters, and particularly editors, see what they believe is true, based on their culture and preferences about how the world should work. Which makes the case of the murderous Marine a whole lot more important than a troop surge resulting in an outbreak of comparative peace.

Besides, it's so much more dramatic when America is failing.

In the news:

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.