Monday, April 14, 2008

Pope Benedict XVI is Coming to America

Pope Benedict XVI is expected to start his six-day visit this week. The plan is for President Bush to meet the Holy Father at Andrews Air Force Base.

That's a first.

"Bush has never before given a visiting leader the honor of picking him up at the airport. In fact, no president has done so at Andrews Air Force Base, the typical landing spot for modern leaders.

"A crowd of up to 12,000 is due at the White House on Wednesday morning for the pope's official, pomp-filled arrival ceremony. It will feature the U.S. and Holy See anthems, a 21-gun salute, and the U.S. Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps. Both men will make remarks before their Oval Office meeting and a send-off for his popemobile down Pennsylvania Avenue." ("Bush greeting pope in big way" CNN (April 13, 2008) )

Being a devout Catholic, I'm going to be following the Holy Father's words and deeds in my country. And, having had quite a bit of experience with American news services that are either unwilling, or unable, to understand and accurately report religious topics, I'm going to rely on an outfit that does understand Catholicism: EWTN, the Eternal Word Television Network.

EWTN will be covering the Pope's visit: "Christ, Our Hope - Pope Benedict XVI Apostolic Journey to the United States" - I suggest that anyone who wants to know what the Pope said do the same.

Related posts, on Individuals and the War on Terror.
Related posts, on Islam, Christianity, Religion, Culture and the War on Terror.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.