Sunday, April 27, 2008

Another Conservative Blog Added to Conlist

Labels are odd things. Take "conservative blog," for example. That phrase may bring to mind a blog with:
  • Posts that repeat talking points from some party - Republican, Constitution, or something similar
  • Nostalgia for the 1950s
  • Dislike and/or distrust of
    • Foreigners
    • Immigrants
    • Imports (except for luxury cars and fine wines)
  • graphic design involving
    • Red and white stripes
    • Patches of blue
    • American flags and bunting
    • Eagles
  • More emotion than reason

This Blog? Conservative?!

I must have absorbed some of those assumptions, because I was surprised when people called "Another War-on-Terror Blog" was a conservative blog. And, when it was added to "The Best Conservative Blogs on the Internet - Period!," "Conlist."

That was last month ("A Little Self-Promotion: Another War-on-Terror Blog Added to "Best Conservative Blogs"" (March 19, 2008)).

American Interests: Conservative Blog?

Last Friday, the same thing happened to another blog: "Conservative Blog" (American Interests (April 24, 2008)). The blog's author wrote, "American Interests remains a Pro American site not one strictly espousing conservative values ... " in a reply to a comment. Interestingly, "American Interests" is the creation of an Australian.

The header of "American Interests" defines the blog's nature and purpose: "Politically neutral blog intended to disseminate knowledge of, highlight threats to, explore opportunities for and, above all else, serve as a platform of advocacy for the continuance and preservation of global American dominance."

I check in at "American Interests" at least once a week, usually more. I'm not entirely convinced that it's a conservative blog. But then, I'm not convinced that at this one is, either.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.