Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Party-Poopers in San Francisco: Partisans, Nudists, and the Olympic Torch

The Olympic torch makes one stop in North America: San Francisco. Runners came to carry the torch, people came to see the runners, and as I'm writing, both those groups are getting frustrated by an assortment of:
  • Tibetans yearning for freedom
  • Chinese convinced that Tibet is a Chinese province
  • Nudists who want Olympic athletes to compete in the buff
San Francisco's finest were caught off-guard, when someone in city hall decided to change the route. So, apparently, were some runners, and everybody who came to San Francisco to see the torch being carried.

As much as I appreciate the problems of the people in Tibet, the pride of conquest that some Chinese feel, and the crowd-pleasing potential of an all-nude Olympics, I'm disappointed that a gaggle of party-poopers ruined a public event for thousands of uninvolved people.

One bit of good news: nobody seems to have been seriously hurt, and no buildings were torched.

More at

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't be a wuss, I'm sure the lads at the Boston Tea Party spoiled some people's nights sleep.

Brian H. Gill said...

True enough: although there was a rather more direct connection between the British tea and the revolutionaries' dispute with George III's government, than there was between the torch-runners and the assorted Tibetans, nudists, and animal-rights protesters in San Francisco.

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.