Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The CIA Created Al Qaeda: Who Knew?

One of today's posts, "You Think American Courts are Crazy Now?," has an interesting comment.

This excerpt reveals an aspect of the War on Terror that I had hitherto been unaware of: "... Similarly, there exists a good amount of proof suggesting that the CIA runs sections of Al-Queda as a "false flag" operation. We know the CIA created Al-Queda (that's undeniable). ..."

After reading today's comment, I did a little research. I see that the Bush and bin Laden families, and the CIA, are in cahoots, presumably to create the NWO, or New World Order. At least, according to some people.

I still don't "know" that the CIA created Al Qaeda, but I've filed that assertion away with other curious claims about the Central Intelligence Agency: The sort that say, often passionately, that the CIA The CIA/JFK assassination connection is hardly surprising: Nominees for 'who killed JFK' might have to form two lines: A through M, and N through Z. Oddly, I've not seen Elvis implicated in that terrible crime.

The idea that 9/11 was a CIA plot: or at least an American government conspiracy, seems to be quite popular in some quarters.

A Minnesota congressman, who probably didn't realize he was being recorded, recently said: "It's almost like the Reichstag fire, kind of reminds me of that. After the Reichstag was burned, they blamed the Communists for it and it put the leader of that country [Hitler] in a position where he could basically have authority to do whatever he wanted. The fact is that I'm not saying [Sept. 11] was a [U.S.] plan, or anything like that because, you know, that's how they put you in the nut-ball box -- dismiss you." - from "Rep. Ellison's Misconstrued Reichstag Remarks (July 17, 2007).

I am, however, at best dubious about conspiracy theories: even the engaging ones.

Related posts, on "Who Knew? Assertions and Assumptions from All Over"

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I'm certainly glad I inspired a post just by a comment! So going to the CIA's website "research." Do they have anything about MKULTRA on there? ;)

But seriously. Do some REAL research. Forget about crackpots, focus on recognised and respected sources (ie not the CIA's website).

You will find that the CIA created the mujahadeen to fight the Soviets in Afganistan. You'll find over-whelming evidence that the CIA is involved in the drug market. You'll find some disturbing questions about everything from Pearl Harbour to 9/11.

Best wishes,

Brian H. Gill said...

Daniel Owen,

I believe I understand the sincerity of your beliefs.

And, I'm glad to see that you've read enough of this blog to recognize that I use the CIA's "The World Factbook" as a resource. It's a good one-stop resource for relatively current information about the world's countries.

Despite your assumption, I do conduct "REAL research." And, your assertions about the mujahadeen are quite correct. And, common knowledge.

As for the CIA being involved in the drug market, I believe you're referring to the CIA's presumed involvement in Los Angeles drug traffic (California State University, Northridge, did an enlightening writeup of this matter: "Cocaine Importing Agency.")

You may find an alternative view in PBS Frontline's "Cocaine, Conspiracy Theories & the C.I.A. in Central America" Craig Delaval. Reading it, I realize that PBS must be part of the conspiracy, too.

Or, perhaps, not.

A problem I have with the conspiracy theories that I've run into to date is that to believe them, I must reject all sources of information or opinion which do not support them. That's too big a pill to swallow.

Brian H. Gill said...

Daniel Owen,

One more thing: I've been encountering "disturbing questions" for about a half-century now.

They don't bother me half as much as the occasional disturbing answer.

J. C. said...

wow, and you were talking about censorship in the other post, this is really a bravery. I am glad that I can read such content on your pages, and I am glad that some questions are being asked bravely. Great blog.

Brian H. Gill said...

J. C.,

Thanks, although I'd argue against your "bravery" term.

I'm interested in almost everything, and 'asking questions' is a good way to learn. Along the way, I've learned some things that I wish weren't so: like how Hawaii became an American territory.

But facts are facts. If they're unpleasant, that's my problem. That's not "bravery." That's common sense.

Thanks again for the comments.

Unknown said...

Well, so you agree that Al-Queda was created by the CIA and that the CIA has been involved in drug running? You also like looking at "disturbing questions" and don't like reductionst and silly "conspiracy theories." Where do we disagree again? ;)

Best wishes,

Brian H. Gill said...

D.O.,

I agree that the CIA has had contact with people in the same part of the world that spawned Al Qaeda.

I agree that some people believe that the CIA has been involved in drug running, specifically in the Los Angeles area.

As for the last set of statements, I don't quite see the relationship between conspiracy theories and reductionism - "a complex set of facts, entities, phenomena, or structures by another, simpler set..."

However, you do point out that, below the surface, people tend to have more in common than is apparent.

Great, now I have one more thing to think about. :)

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.