Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cleaning Up the Town

"Michael J. Totten's Middle East Journal" gives a look at Iraq and other places that you won't find in traditional news media.

For example: "The Dungeon of Fallujah -- Upgraded

"Last month I published a piece here called The Dungeon of Fallujah about my visit to the wretched jail in the city. As it turns out, the place was worse than I thought. Prisoners had to supply their own food or starve. I didn't report that detail because I didn't know it. But Marine Major General John Kelly (whom I don't think I met) read my report, investigated the jail, and fixed it. ..."

'Was it worth it?'

Was it worth it, helping Japan get back on its feet after WWII? Today we have a trade partner and occasional ally. That wouldn't have happened, if we'd pulled out early.

A half-century from now, I'd rather have my descendants dealing with a prosperous and stable Iraq, than with the mess that's likely to result if America decides to abandon the country and region.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.