Monday, January 14, 2008

"You Will Explode" Hormuz Transmission:
Not From Iranian Boats?

More about the shenanigans of those Iraqi speedboats at the Strait of Hormuz:

That "you will explode" radio transmission may, or may not, have come from one of the boats.

The "Navy Times" wrote that "American ships operating in the Middle East have had to contend with a mysterious but profane voice known by the ethnically insulting handle of 'Filipino Monkey,' likely more than one person, who listens in on ship-to-ship radio traffic and then jumps on the net shouting insults and jabbering vile epithets."

As spokeswoman for the U.S. 5th Fleet in Bahrain said: "We don’t know for sure where they came from," referring to the threatening words. "It could have been a shore station."

I don't think this lets Iran off the hook. Even without that "you will explode" transmission, playing chicken with part of the U.S. 5th Fleet isn't a friendly act - or a smart one.

Besides, arranging for a shore station or another ship to transmit that threat would give Iran plausible deniability.

Or, the "Filipino Monkey" may be an independent nut case, or a bowlful of assorted nuts, who saw what the boats were doing, and decided to have some fun.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.