Thursday, November 6, 2008

President-Elect Obama Transition Website, Victory Speech

If you've been following this blog, you know that I was no fan of Barack Obama as a presidential candidate. I voted for John McCain, because I thought that he would make a better president. I was also very concerned about Barack Obama's views on spreading the wealth around:' particularly in light of the Mr. Obama's preference for Marxist professors, when he was a student.

However, Barack Obama won the 2008 presidential election. He is now President-Elect Barack Obama. Soon, he will be president.

And, we already have a look at what the Obama presidency may look like. Barack Obama's official transition website, Change.gov, is online.

Change.gov: Persuasive Website by a Media-Savvy President

Text in the upper-right corner of Change.gov's home page explains what the website is about: "Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today."
President-Elect Barack Obama"

A page on Change.gov, "Change has come to America," has a 17-minute video of Barack Obama's victory speech in Chicago's Grant Park (embedded from YouTube):

"President-Elect Barack Obama in Chicago"

YouTube video (November 5, 2008)
video (17:00)

several paragraphs below the video, we read: "...Change.gov provides resources to better understand the transition process and the decisions being made as part of it. It also offers an opportunity to be heard about the challenges our country faces and your ideas for tackling them. The Obama Administration will reflect an essential lesson from the success of the Obama campaign: that people united around a common purpose can achieve great things. President-Elect Obama reminded the country of our limitless potential when he claimed this victory...."

I'm impressed with the feedback built into the website, which is why I included the link that appears in the original paragraph.

President-Elect Obama Wants What I Want - So, What's the Problem?

President-Elect Barack Obama spelled out some principles that I can agree with:
  • Revitalizing the Economy
  • Ending the War in Iraq
  • Providing Health Care for All
  • Protecting America
  • Renewing American Global Leadership
These principles are fine: including ending the war in Iraq. I want that war to end: but I want its conclusion to be more like WWII's than the Vietnam Involvement's.

As I said, those principles don't bother me at all. It's the policies that are likely to be used in pursuit of them that concern me. I'll be following the Obama presidency's work with considerable interest.

Related posts: In the news:
People who believe that "Bush stole the election" are still around. The more rational liberals may find some comfort in the thought that conservatism has its crackpots, too:

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.