Friday, November 21, 2008

Al Aqaeda Leader's "House Slave" Remarks Not Big Hit With American Muslims

Al Qaeda number two leader, Ayman al-Zawahri, told the world that president-elect Barack Obama is a "house negro." Some translations said "house slave." Apparently, in some parts of the world, those are considered equivalent terms.

Back here in America, some Muslim groups reacted to the 'Islamic' leader's remarks.
  • " 'We condemn these racist slurs in the strongest possible terms, unequivocally reject Al Qaeda's philosophy, and reaffirm our opposition to all forms of bigotry, intolerance and racism' "
    The American Muslim Taskforce on Civil Rights and Elections
  • " 'As Muslims and as Americans, we will never let terrorist groups or terror leaders falsely claim to represent us or our faith,' "
    Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)
(Pakistan Dawn)

I don't always (or often) agree with the Los Angeles times editorializing, but I think they're spot-on with this remark:

"...This isn't the America of 1963. In the decades since Malcolm X divided blacks into those akin to slaves who worked in the fields (abused and rebellious) and those akin to slaves who worked in the master's house (comfortable and servile), the racial complexities and the racial complexion of the country have changed dramatically...." (Los Angeles Times)

Unlike the Los Angeles Times, I think that many of American's own leaders and 'great thinkers' don't realize that it's not 1963, 1964, or even 1967, any more.

Woodstock is history, disco is dead, black members of congress make the news because of what they do, not what they look like, and America will very soon swear in its first black president.

I get the impression that educators like professor Churchill, political leaders like Alcee Hastings, and groups like the Congressional Black Caucus, haven't changed their calendars, or their minds, in several decades.

Meanwhile, I'm glad to see some American Muslim groups disagree with the Al Qaeda leader. I rather thought this would happen, America culture being what it (really) is, but it's nice to have an opinion confirmed.

Previous post on this topic: In the news:

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.