Sunday, November 2, 2008

World Bank Under Cyberattack? Surprise!

My guess is that you haven't read about the World Bank's security problems, unless you follow PC World, CNET, or FOXNews. I haven't seen more than a flicker about the World Bank being hacked, except in those services.

Which is a little odd, since a major cyberattack started in the summer of 2007.

I've posted about this before: Excerpts from PC World:

"...The bottom line is that computers everywhere are at risk. No matter where you are located, your security plan needs to be bullet proof....

"...Even the big guys may be behind the times when it comes to security.

"According to one of the memos cited by the Fox report, the organization [the World Bank] decided to introduce secure ID for users to access their web email after the breach occurred....

"...The lesson here: Even if you are a massive business with a big budget, a reality check may be in order on your security protocol and policies...." [emphasis mine]
("Four Security Lessons From the World Bank Breach" PC World Business Center (October 10, 2008))

Kudos to the World Bank for introducing the sort of cybersecurity that small-town banks have - after a breach. 'Better late than never,' but as another old saying goes, it's 'locking the barn door after the horse is stolen.'

The World Bank's reputation is like a still pond: tranquil, serene, a mirrored surface reflecting lovely greenery.

Now alternatively-sensible decisions are floating to the surface: and their logical consequences.

In a way, I don't blame mainstream news services from ignoring these issues. The World Bank is an international organization with a noble goal: it would be a shame, in a way, to sully that image.

But, that might be what the World Bank needs, as encouragement to get re-attached to reality.

In the news:

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.