Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bad Night in Mumbai: Islamic Terrorists This Time

People in Mumbai (Bombay, it was, when I was growing up) are having a very bad time right now.

Some outfit calling itself the Deccan Mujahideen says they are the ones who attacked a train station, a couple of luxury hotels, a hospital, and other places in Mumbai a few hours ago. The killing started around 10:30 p.m. local time, or 17:00 UTC. (Right now, UTC time, it's 1:15 a.m., November 27, 2008.)

People with foreign passports - particularly those from America or the United Kingdom - were selected by the terrorists. Quite a few hostages have been taken, and many people are dead. The numbers keep going up.

Meanwhile, over in West Bengal, there's an alert on that includes Kolkatta (that's a less inaccurate spelling of "Calcutta" for English.)

Terrorism: It's Not Just the Middle East and America

India has been having serious trouble with terrorists: Muslims killing Hindus; Hindus killing Muslims; Ethnic minorities killing in the hope that it will get them their own little independent country.

And, a lot of Muslims, Hindus, and people whose ancestors were a minority, who have lives to lead: and don't kill people they don't like, don't approve of, or who make inviting targets.

Attacking hotels seems to be the new trend in terrorism, which is going to have a bad effect on the hospitality industry (The Long War Journal). I'll give these terrorists credit: they know how to do damage that spreads 'way beyond what their guns and bombs do.

Hats off to someone in the BlogCatalog online community, for giving me a lead in his discussion thread: "Mumbai, Oh Mumbai."

Related posts: In the news:

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.