Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Barack Obama: America's First Black President

I don't think that who a person's ancestors are has much to do with how well they can do a job.

With a few exceptions. I think it might have been a mistake, for example, to cast James Earl Jones as Leif Erickson, or Arnold Schwarzenegger as Oda Nobunaga. On the other hand, Jones and Schwarzenegger did quite well in their Conan the Barbarian roles.

When it comes to being President of the United States, though, I don't see a connection between which part of the world a candidate's family came from, and how good a president the candidate would be.

But, America does like to note "firsts," and we now have our first black president: Barack Obama.

I think this is the biggest ethnic breakthrough since America got its first Irish president, almost fifty years ago. JFK did pretty well. There's even a major street in Istanbul named after him: the Kennedy Caddesi.


View Larger Map

What's going to be really interesting is to see how President Obama does in the next four years. He's getting his shot at the Oval Office during a rather exciting period of American history.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.