Monday, May 11, 2009

'Pope Turns Back on Peace Dialog' - Sort of

I see in the news that the Pope is spreading distension in the Middle East. My guess is that, at least for a while, anything unpleasant that happens in the general vicinity of Israel will be the fault of the Jews - and the Pope. For 'sophisticated' people, at least.

A sample of what's been going on, during the Papal visit to Israel:

"Pope Benedict XVI urged the Israelis and Palestinians to find a 'just resolution' to their long-running conflict as he arrived in Israel Monday.

" 'I plead with all those responsible to explore every possible avenue,' the pope said, 'So that both peoples may live in peace in a homeland of their own, within secure and internationally recognized borders.'..." (CNN)

Interreligious Dialog: 'Unite, Muslims and Christians, Against the Murderous Jews'

While in Israel, the Pope attended a meeting for interreligious dialog. Christians, Jews, and Muslims were there.

The Palestinian Authority's Chief Islamic Judge Sheik Tayseer Rajab Tamimi wasn't on the program, but he took the microphone right after the Pope. According to the sheik, Israel kills women and children.

Same old, same old.

I don't doubt that women who weren't putting suicide vests on their children at the moment have been killed by Israeli troops. When terrorists use occupied 'civilian' residences as shields, sooner or later they'll get the sort of publicity they want.

I'll give Sheik Tayseer Rajab Tamimi credit for trying an interesting variation on the tired old "death to the Jews/death to the great Satan America" line.

He said that Muslims and Christians have to work together against Israel.

" 'We struggle together and we suffer together from the injustice of the Israeli occupation and its oppressive practices, and we look forward to freedom and independence,' he said."

Before Germany's efforts to cleanse Europe's gene pool, back in WWII, that might have worked. Anti-Semitism isn't all that popular right now, as public policy. Not in America, anyway: I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem all that widely popular in Europe, either.

About the Pope's call for an independent Palestinian state, that sounds like a nice idea. I think it might work, provided that Arab leaders make good on their pledges of welfare for Palestinians, and that whoever runs the Palestinian state isn't the lot that regards killing Jews as a religious and/or patriotic duty.

The Pope left before the meeting was officially over, and so did a number of the Jews attending. I don't know what sort of significance that has: One news outlet said that the Pope shook Tamimi's hand before leaving. (Jerusalem Post)

In the news: Related posts: Related posts, on tolerance, bigotry, racism, and hatred.

Related posts, on Islam, Christianity, Religion, Culture and the War on Terror.

4 comments:

Former Liberal Rants said...

Him leaving early was the right thing to do. Good job Pope.

Brigid said...

Don't blame the Pope or the Jewish delegate for leaving early one bit. Last thing I'd want to listen to is a bunch of homicidal nut jobs ranting on like that.

Brian H. Gill said...

Former Liberal Rants,

I'm inclined to see it that way. The handshake didn't get as much attention: but was also, I think, a good piece of diplomacy.

Brian H. Gill said...

Brigid,

It's Jewish delegates - plural - and I'm inclined to agree.

I think the Pope and the Vatican office handled the situation well.

It's regrettable that, once again, a Palestinian leader has worked to scuttle a reasonable hope for Palestinians having a homeland.

What's ironic is that Christians - and Jews - are trying to sort out a mess for Muslims. My view, anyway.

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.