Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Thought for the Day: Every Group Has its Crazies

"The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments."
Friedrich Nietzsche QuotationsPage.com

Reading anti-Communist, anti-war, anti-whatever, screed has sometimes made me wonder if whoever wrote it was serious: or was a dedicated fifth columnist, set on defaming cause he or she apparently supported.

I've talked with a variety of intensely sincere opponents of communism, war, spy satellites (they cause wars, I was told), and other deadly threats to all right-thinking (or left-thinking, as the case may be) people. Sometimes, I just listened as they explained how nuclear winter, global warming, communists, or fluoride, would kill us all.

They were sincere. Possibly a bit nuts, but sincere.

Odds are that the wild writing on these and related topics, lightly rooted in the world we know, is quite sincere.

Wrong, but sincere. Someone might, very sincerely, believe that rocks fall south. It's 'obvious:' maps always1 have north at the top. 'Logically,' he would tell you, rocks fall south. That chap's sincerity wouldn't make him right.
1 Obviously, this fellow lives in the Western world. And, doesn't khow that 'north is up' is not a universal convention on maps.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.