Saturday, March 14, 2009

Equality? Rule of Law? Limited Government?!

This isn't, as I've said before, a political blog. On the other hand, politics is inextricably enmeshed with the War on Terror - and nearly every aspect of contemporary American life.

I'd just as soon that Western civilization win the War on Terror - although I look pretty good in a turban - but I'd also just as soon that there be something left of the America I knew when the dust settles (decades from now, is my guess). And yes, I think that it's time for a change.

"America's Survival Guide (That's 'Survival,' not 'Survivalist')"
Apathetic Lemming of the North (March 14, 2009)

Apathetic Lemming of the North is a blog where I generally deal with topics that are about as heavy as cotton candy. But the Lemming does get serious now and again. I ran into an online advertisement that said, among other things, "Contrary to popular wisdom, the most serious threat to America does not spring from overseas adversaries. Because the threat is from within, it is much more subtle and ignored...."

As a history major and recovering English teacher, I know that there's quite a bit of truth to the wild-sounding claim that America's "history and First Principles have been cast aside and denigrated by the public, educators, mainstream media, legal profession, and politicians."

As far as I can tell, the book that's being sold does not claim that there's some kind of plot going on. I don't think that's the case, either.

I do, however, think that history is full of heavy, hard, sharp edged facts that don't fit at all well into the way many of the 'best and brightest' in American see the world.

And, when you're in the class that controls what gets taught in the schools: it's awfully easy to leave out awkward details, or dump history entirely. After all, "Social Studies" is so much more relevant.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.