Monday, December 15, 2008

Heated Foot Baths for Muslim Prisoners Necessary: Crucifix Verboten

I'm not surprised: a British prison's makeover includes a multi-faith chapel with heated foot baths for the Muslim prisoners.

An imam didn't like the idea of a crucifix being in another part of the room, so it's out.

There are Christian symbols over there, but not to worry: they can be removed "when necessary."

I'm all for sensitivity, but it does seem to go one way.

In the news:
  • "Prison bans chapel crucifix to avoid offending Muslims"
    MailOnline (December 15, 2008)
    • "A prison’s new chapel will not contain a crucifix to avoid offending Muslim inmates, it emerged today.
    • "Bosses at HMP Lewes have been told the traditional Christian symbol, featuring Jesus nailed to a cross, must not be used in the Grade-II listed Victorian jail's 'multi-faith space'.
    • "The room - part of a £1million new block - has been split in two, with one half featuring heated foot baths so Muslim worshippers can wash their feet before prayer.'But the other side, dedicated to Christian prayer, contains just a simple wooden cross and portable alter - both of which can be removed if necessary...."
Related posts, on tolerance, bigotry, racism, and hatred.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.