Wednesday, December 31, 2008

(Allegedly) Christian Terrorists? Yes, They Exist

Not all terrorists are Muslims. Some say they are Christians: and may really believe that they are.

Murder in the Church

Quite a number of people were hacked to death in a Catholic church in the eastern part of Congo, the day after Christmas. The Ugandan army says that an outfit called Lord's Resistance Army, or LRA. The LRA, perhaps sensing that murder in a church isn't all that appealing to many, says they didn't.

The LRA says that it wants to establish a government based on the biblical Ten Commandments - and cuts the lips off people who don't agree.

From what I've read, the LRA is just as Christian as the KKK - and as big an embarrassment.

Christians, Kooks, and the War on Terror

As I've written before, "I prefer to let people define themselves." If someone says he or she's a Christian - or a Muslim - or whatever - I probably won't say, "no, you're not." I may, however, point out ways in which their statements or actions don't match what people expect from Christianity, Islam, or whatever.

I still prefer to believe that "Islam is a peaceful religion." One reason I can keep hoping that this is (in some cases) true is that Islam seems to depend heavily on local culture for its beliefs. In a situation like that, it's no surprise that Islam has its own Tony Alamos and LRAs.

Who knows? The destructive zeal of Hamas and Al Qaeda might encourage some Muslims to take a serious look at what they believe - and who they support.

In the news: Background:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

Brian H. Gill said...

Thankful Paul,

And a happy new year to you, too.

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.