Some outfit calling itself the Deccan Mujahideen says they are the ones who attacked a train station, a couple of luxury hotels, a hospital, and other places in Mumbai a few hours ago. The killing started around 10:30 p.m. local time, or 17:00 UTC. (Right now, UTC time, it's 1:15 a.m., November 27, 2008.)
People with foreign passports - particularly those from America or the United Kingdom - were selected by the terrorists. Quite a few hostages have been taken, and many people are dead. The numbers keep going up.
Meanwhile, over in West Bengal, there's an alert on that includes Kolkatta (that's a less inaccurate spelling of "Calcutta" for English.)
Terrorism: It's Not Just the Middle East and AmericaIndia has been having serious trouble with terrorists: Muslims killing Hindus; Hindus killing Muslims; Ethnic minorities killing in the hope that it will get them their own little independent country.
And, a lot of Muslims, Hindus, and people whose ancestors were a minority, who have lives to lead: and don't kill people they don't like, don't approve of, or who make inviting targets.
Attacking hotels seems to be the new trend in terrorism, which is going to have a bad effect on the hospitality industry (The Long War Journal). I'll give these terrorists credit: they know how to do damage that spreads 'way beyond what their guns and bombs do.
Hats off to someone in the BlogCatalog online community, for giving me a lead in his discussion thread: "Mumbai, Oh Mumbai."
- "Why Attack Mumbai? And, Why the Taj Mahal Hotel?"
(November 27, 2008)
- "Gateway of India? Taj Mahal Hotel - in Mumbai? What - and Where - Are These Places?"
(November 27, 2008)
- "NDTV" New Delhi Television From NDTV (November 27, 2008)
- "Alert in West Bengal after terrorist attack in Mumbai"
- "A city, which never sleeps, brought down to its knees"
- " 'Deccan Mujahideen' claims responsibility"
- From NDTV (November 26, 2008)
- "Scores killed in Mumbai rampage"
CNN (November 26, 2008)
- "India's financial capital under terror siege"
The Long War Journal (November 26, 2008)
- "Multiple attacks kill and wound scores in Mumbai"
International Herald Tribune (November 26, 2008)