Saturday, February 23, 2008

Terrorists as an Oppressed Class: That was Then, This is Now

"Bangalore engineer with terror designs held"
The Times of India (February 23, 2008)

Yahya Iyash Kamkutty is an electrical engineer who was once employed with a leading US multinational. He was fired by at GE after being caught stealing data. He'd planned to set up his own firm. After losing his job, he joined the (banned) Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI). He's still an active member.

And, he's been arrested. Indian police say that they have a laptop, hard disc, jihadi material and hundreds of books from his house: and that they may now be able to round up even more terrorists.

And, stop more attacks like the ones Yahya and company had been planning.

The Times of India article seemed to find it a little odd for a terrorist to have such a good education. Up until the London/Glasgow attacks last year, the conventional view was that most terrorists were 'poor, uneducated, and easily led.' As someone observed then, we're seeing "a better class of terrorist" now.

It looks like news media around the world are getting used the idea that terrorists don't necessarily come from the 'oppressed classes.'

More of my view on how terrorists have been viewed as a new sort of 'oppressed proletariat,' in

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.