Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A Muslim Protest: Peaceful, Civil, Courteous

The Wikipedia English-language article on Muhammad has several illustrations that show the Prophet's face. This has often (but not always) been prohibited by Islam.

The on-again-off-again prohibition has its roots in the 'graven images' rule that Jews, Christians, and Muslims share.

A devout Muslim decided to do something about these images. He's set up an online petition, where he says "... I request all brothers and sisters to sign this petitions so we can tell Wikipedia to respect the religion and remove the illustrations."

Although I think that banning illustrations made by devout Muslims, in order to avoid offending other Muslims, is a debatable policy, my hat's off to the creator of this petition.

Here's a devout Muslim group, United Muslims, faced by something that offends them. Of all the options open to them, they chose to start an online petition drive: and phrased their belief in very courteous terms.

I'm impressed.
More, with background, at "Muslims Protest Wikipedia Images of Muhammad" "FOXNews" (February 6, 2008)

Another side of Isalm: "Will the Real Islam, Please Stand Up?" (February 6, 2008).

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.