Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Osama bin Laden, Superstar!

Blogger's preface:
  • I've been serious about the situation in Iraq for days.
  • Last night I read about Britney Spears' remarkable song-and-dance routine at the MTV's Video Music Awards.
  • Today, I watched Senators act as if they were doing screen tests for a contemporary Mack Sennett comedy.
I'll let you decide whether or not those phenomena had anything to do with this post.

Now, the post:

For the second time in less than a month, Sheik Osama bin Laden, one of Al Qaeda's founders, and spiritual leader of many jihadists, released an inspirational video.

Bin Laden achieved fame after the super-mega-hit performance of some of his followers six years ago today. Their attacks, on the Twin Towers in New York City and the Pentagon, were slightly marred by uncooperative passengers on Flight 93.

Perhaps in hopes of producing another smash hit soon, Sheik Osama bin Laden urges Muslim youth to join a "caravan" of martyrs, like 9/11 hijacker Waleed al-Shehri.

Bin laden shows the sort of humility so typical of megastars, by reducing his onscreen presence to a simple still photograph, possibly taken from his recent super-hit video. Bin Ladens' voice plays over the picture.

Hijacker and martyr Waleed al-Shehri, in a posthumous appearance, taped before he helped kill thousands of people, warns America that there will be more Muslims like him, bringing death and destruction to America: "We shall come at you from your front and back, your right and left."

Inspirational words!

Wouldn't it be nice, if all that energy could be channeled into something a little more productive than mass destruction? Maybe a "keep your oasis clean" campaign, or saving the Egyptian tortoise?

Related posts, on Individuals and the War on Terror.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.