Monday, September 24, 2007

Ahmadinejad at Columbia University
Part 2
There are No Homosexuals in Iran?!

"In Iran, we don't have homosexuals, like in your country." That's the first mistake I caught in Ahmadinejad's remarks. He actually got howls at that. It's a serious gaffe, in my opinion, considering how well www365gay.com defended his country's executions of homosexuals.

Also, women are respected in Iran.

Thanks to an electrical storm, and what I had to do to deal with its effects on my equipment, I missed a few of the Iranian president's remarks.

America has nuclear weapons, so Iran should have nucelar weapons, seems to be Ahmadinejad's position. Which is why Iran should have a civilian nuclear program which isn't for making nuclear weapons, which Iran wants.

'Iran is a civilized nation, a cultured nation,' is a recurring phrase in Ahmadinejad's speech: with variations, of course.

The man is a good public speaker. Quite good. I'm making the assumption, of course, that the translation is moderately accurate. The translation, and his expressions, gestures, postures, and vocal qualities, are effective.

I don't agree with him, but from a technical perspective: he's good.

Back to 'Iran is a civilized nation, a cultured nation,' Ahmadinejad says he is ready to engage in debate with Bush.

One of the points seems to be that, just as the (Post-Saddam) Iraqi government is now friendlly towards America (an oversimplification), so the people will welcome Americans.

If the translation was accurate, Ahmadinejad did a wonderful bit of trickry there. He started talking about the Iraqi government's attitude toward America, transitioned to Iran, and then asserted that the Iranian people would welcome America.

I wish I had a transcript, or could replay that, so I could be sure. But it sounded like the structure of a certain sort of whopper: where each piece is true, but where the pieces, as presented, are profoundly not true.

Well, Ahmadinejad thanked the throng, and Ahmadinejad's appearance at Columbia University's World Leaders Forum is over.

Related posts, on censorship, propaganda, and freedom of speech.
Related posts, on Individuals and the War on Terror.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.