Thursday, September 20, 2007

U.S. Senate Doesn't Cut Money
For Troops in Iraq!

The Senate's majority party wasn't able to stop what I suppose could be called the "anti-peace" party's filibuster of legislation that would have choked off financial support for the U.S. military in Iraq.

Their filibuster-stopping vote failed by 28-70. I really am impressed by the way Senators put up with their actions being reported: and by their own organization!

The majority party's idea, I suppose, was that if American troops weren't in Iraq, Al Qaeda, and all the other crazed jihadists, would start acting nice. Or, at any rate, leave America alone. It's a high and noble hope. Or, it's a case of trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Either way, I don't think that abandoning Iraq and hoping for the best is a good idea.

I don't like war, I'd much prefer that everyone sit down, have a nice cup of tea, and calmly discuss whatever issues must be resolved.

But there's been little to no evidence, in the several thousand years of recorded history, that human beings act this way. Not without a great deal of preparation, and sometimes not even then.

So, hats off to those who want "peace for our time," but I'd rather not be so idealistically hopeful.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.