I am not making this up.
"Venezuela asks Interpol to arrest openly critical TV station's owner"I remember the 'good old days,' when red-white-and-blue-blooded Americans expressed the wish that people who criticized the country either be jailed or 'go back where they came from.'
CNN (June 18, 2010)
"Venezuela has asked Interpol to arrest the owner of the only TV station still openly critical of leftist President Hugo Chavez, the government announced Friday.
"Guillermo Zuloaga, president of Globovision, is accused of illegally storing vehicles with the intent to sell them for a profit, the Venezuelan government said when it issued an arrest warrant last week. His son, also named Guillermo, also is wanted.
"Zuloaga and his son have said that he is being persecuted for political purposes and that the charges are trumped up...."
Today, another demographic has expressed similar desires. The cherished assumptions are different, the slogans aren't quite the same: but the old 'anybody who doesn't agree with me should be silenced' is still there.
Like the old saying goes, "be careful what you wish for."
- "Commie Plots, Cholesterol, Frank Burns, Hugo Chavez, and 2012"
(November 15, 2009)
- "Who Needs Facts? Cultural Assumptions and Politics"
(July 24, 2009)
- "Of President Obama, Politics, and the Another War-on-Terror Blog"
(June 21, 2009)
- A possibly-useful bit of navel-gazing for this blog.
- "Department of Homeland Security No Longer Fears American Veterans?"
(May 14, 2009)
- "Homeland Security Report: American Veterans are Potential Terrorists - I am Not Making This Up"
(April 15, 2009)
- "Genocide! Racism! Down With Columbus Day!!"
(April 8, 2009)
- "The 90% Solution: American Guns, Mexican Raids, and Common Sense"
(April 2, 2009)
- "No More 'War on Terror' - Officially?"
(March 30, 2009)
- "Missouri Focus Group MIAC: Ron Paul Supporters May Be Terrorists"
(March 23, 2009)
- "CCSU Students Talk About Guns: Naturally, Their Professor Called the Police"
(March 4, 2009)
- "DC Gun Ban, Online Censorship, Individual Rights, and Power to the People"
(June 27, 2008)
- "EEEK! Guns! Hoplophobia and Foreign Policy"
(December 23, 2007)
A tip of the hat to CNN_Networks, on Twitter, for the heads-up on their article.
Post a Comment