I've got two reasons for using comment moderation:
- These 'comments' are usually text in an east Asian language, followed by a string of periods, each a link to some more-or-less-scuzzy-sounding URL
- Spam, English-language or otherwise, is not welcome here
- Keeping track
- I like to keep up with comments
- My old system was time-consuming
- Comment moderation, I've found, gives me a heads-up on new comments as I work
- Making it easier and faster to check out the comments
On the 'up' side, you can be more sure now, that I'll actually see your comment.
Why didn't I list 'censorship' among my reasons? Unless you count filtering out spam as censorship: that's not my intent.