America's first lawyer who was a woman was Margaret Brent, who came to the American colonies in 1638. (She asked for, but was denied, a vote in the Maryland Assembly: but that's another story.) (ABANow)
Saudi Arabia? Women may be allowed to be lawyers:
"Saudi Arabia's justice minister says his department is drafting a law that would allow female lawyers to argue legal cases in court for the first time.In September of 2008, the Saudi king made some remarkable statements about who was besmirching Islam's reputation. (September 27, 2008) If this apparent change in policy in Saudi Arabia's justice department goes through, it'll be evidence that the Saudi king was serious. And, just as important, able to take a country that has earned a reputation for bizarre official pronouncements and behavior a little closer to the present day.
"Sheik Mohammed al-Issa told reporters Saturday the bill will be issued in the coming days as part of the Saudi king's 'plan to develop the justice system.'..."
"...Women in Saudi Arabia are nearly totally segregated from men in public life."
Not that I expect - or would want - Saudi Arabia to become a 'republic with strong democratic traditions,' like America. I like it here: but I also recognize that not all countries are alike. (November 15, 2009)
But that's another topic.
- "Another Stampede-Free Hajj: Credit Where Credit is Due"
(November 29, 2009)
- "Saudi Women Protest Lingere Shops - It's Not What You Might Think"
(March 26, 2009)
- "House of Saud Lashes Old Woman: Another Tale from the Weird Side"
(March 10, 2009)
- "Saudi Arabia Bans Valentine's Day - and the Color Red"
(February 10, 2009)
- " 'Mecca is being blown into pieces' "
(December 7, 2008)
- "An Egyptian Doctor, a Saudi Princess, and 1,500 lashes"
(November 11, 2008)
- "Saudi Cleric Wants Women to Use One Eye - I'm Not Making This Up"
(October 4, 2008)
- "Saudi Arabia's National Day, Islam, and Tribalism: This is Big"
(September 27, 2008)
- "Chief Saudi Judge: Death to Network Owners!"
(September 19, 2008)
- "Mickey Mouse Must Die! Agent of Satan Targeted by Saudi Cleric"
(September 19, 2008)
- "New Saudi Law Would Allow Women Lawyers in Court"
The Associated Press, via FOXNews (February 20, 2010)