Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Empire State Building Goes Red and Gold for People's Republic Anniversary

There's a saying I ran into, decades ago, that makes a lot of sense: Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.

New York City's Empire State Building's lights were red and gold, to commemorate the 'glorious people's uprising' that threw off 'the shackles of the oppressor' and ushered in 'the enlightened era of the People's Republic of China:' 60 years and still going.

Sure, twenty thousand-plus people starved to death as a result of that revolution: but they were probably enemies of the state, anyway.

Me? I'm a fan of tolerance and all that: but this does seem to be a bit over the top.

I'm inclined to be on the same page as a politico from New York State:
"...New York politicians have paid notice as well, and say they are let down by the light-up. Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y., said it was a mistake to pay tribute to what he called 'a nation with a shameful history on human rights.'

"Historians of the revolution noted the unimaginable — and often forgotten — toll of the revolution and China's communist rule, which has taken tens of millions of lives through years of war, famine, reeducation and wholesale slaughter...."
(FOXNews)
About those little boo-boos that the People's Republic of China has done over the last six decades? Feel free to ignore them, or pretend they didn't happen. After all, that's a quote from FOXNews - and 'everybody' knows what they're like.

Oh, well: I'm sure whoever decided on the light show had a very definite reason.

Related posts: In the news:

3 comments:

No Subject said...

I hate to say it, but I wasn't really surprised by this. The moral relativism promulgated in our schools and by the media have convince many that the evils committed by the communist government of China are no worse that anything done by freedom loving democracies.

It is a sad time that we live in.

Brian H. Gill said...

No Subject,

Agreed - although I see a great deal of hope. Including traditional news, entertainment, and education organizations no longer having a near-monopoly on the exchange of information.

I'm no Polyanna, but good things are, I think, happening.

No Subject said...

Yes... There is reason for hope

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.