Monday, April 4, 2011

Eman al-Obeidy: Alive, Still in Libya

Eman al-Obeidy is in the news again. She's the woman who showed up in a Tripoli hotel with rope burns, heavy bruising, and a claim that the Libyan colonel enforcers had raped her. (March 26, 2011)

She'd been talking with journalists, when "Security forces moved to subdue the woman," as CNN put it. The official line was that she was "mentally ill" and being taken to a "hospital." After the "security forces" broke one of CNN's cameras.

That was March 26, 2011. Today:
"Eman al-Obeidy, the woman who said she was raped by forces loyal to Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, is no longer in government custody and has spent time with family in Tripoli, she told CNN...."
(CNN)
Apparently there'll be an interview with her tonight, on Anderson Cooper's AC360 CNN blog.

Perhaps I'm being overly-cynical or pessimistic: but my guess is that, since she and her family were still in Tripoli, Eman al-Obeidy will downplay her previous rape accusation.

Maybe she'll even explain that she tied herself up and fell down a flight of stairs.

Or, maybe not.

Bottom line, I'm glad - and relieved - to learn that she's still alive.

Somewhat-related posts:
In the news:

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.