"Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei cannot be removed from his post because his legitimacy comes from God, an official close to Iran's most powerful figure was reported Friday as saying."It can't happen here?"
"Khamenei, whose public persona is usually above politics, stoked controversy in Iran when he endorsed the disputed victory of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in June's presidential elections, which plunged Iran into its deepest internal crisis since the Islamic revolution of 1979...."
Given the assumptions of post-Enlightenment Euro-American culture, it's unlikely that anybody's going to try justifying weird and destructive decisions by saying, "God says so."
We've got our own slogans, like "national security" and "diversity."
- "Iran's Nuclear Weapons Program: Oops, Let's Look at That Again"
(October 16, 2009)
- "Iran Leaders Request Investigation of Supereme Leader: An Iranian My Lai? Maybe, Maybe Not"
(August 14, 2009)
- "Neda Agha Soltan's Death was 'Staged' - Officially"
(July 1, 2009)
- "Protesting Election Fraud is "Waging War Against God" - Ayatollah Khatami"
(June 28, 2009)
- "Journalism in the Information Age, Or Nothing Says 'No' Like a Brightly Burning Motorcycle"
(June 24, 2009)
- "Iran's Supreme Leader cannot be removed"
Reuters (November 13, 2009)