Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Burma / Myanmar / Myanma - Suu Kyi's Still Under Arrest, So Are 2,000 Others

Depending on how you look at it, Burma's Suu Kyi is back under house arrest - or still under house arrest. Her five-year sentence had been changed to an 18-month term. Then an American citizen, John Yettaw, swam to her house.

That, the military junta that runs Burma says, is a violation of her house arrest. So she's stuck for another 18 months. If the math is a little confusing, I wouldn't worry about it: my guess is that she's going to be under arrest until the ruling junta is out of power.

The country isn't "Burma," by the way, according to the junta: They like to call it Myanmar, or maybe Myanma.

John Yettaw? He's been detained, too, along with about 2,000 other political prisoners.

The CNN article gives the score, for notable people who are anything but pleased about the situation in Burma. Or Myanmar. Or Myanma.

Related posts: In the news:

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.