Thursday, August 28, 2008

History Made Today: Barack Obama Nominated to Run for President:

History was made today, in Denver. Barack Obama was nominated as the Democratic party's presidential candidate. This is the first time in American history that a black man has been a major party's Presidential candidate.

I'm glad that I've lived long enough to see this happen, but I'm not surprised that it did. America has a pretty good track record for giving people a chance to succeed: even if they're simply not the proper sort.

In my youth, I saw a smooth-talking Irishman run for president: and win. This was only a few generations after one of my ancestors said, of another of my ancestors, "he doesn't have family: he's Irish."

Whether we see President Obama sworn in or not, history has been made.

I have reservations about a number of Barack Obama's policies and views, but that's par for the course for me and a presidential candidate. Or president, for that matter. Despite these differences, I am glad to see that America has passed another milestone in accepting people who don't fit the Yankee/Boston Brahman mold.

Who knows, I may last long enough to see America's first Hispanic president. Or the child of someone who made it out of Vietnam or China working in the Oval Office.

Recent posts about Barack Obama:

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.