Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Meanwhile, in Houston: Free Quran Offends Some Residents

Yesterday, in Scotland, it was Muslims offended by a puppy postcard ("Brit Puppy Offends Muslims - Outrage Over Police Insult" (July 1).

Meanwhile, in America, some Houston-area residents were offended by a free Quran. in the news:
  • "Residents Upset Over Group's Distribution of Qurans"
    MyFOX Houston (July 1, 2008)
    • "An English translation of the Quran began appearing two weeks ago on the doorsteps of hundred of homes in the BraesTimbers neighborhood. The books came in plastic bags with a note attached from the 'Book of Signs Foundation' asking recipients to accept the Quran as a gift from the Muslim community.
    • "But some residents, like Greg and Sue Ann Pieri, said they feared the group is imposing its beliefs on non-Muslims and found the gesture offensive.
    • " 'If we went into a Muslim country and left a bible, we would be in prison and then decapitated a few years later,' said Sue Ann Pieri, who chose not to destroy the book like other neighbors did."
I don't think that Pieri was that far off, in one way. Islamic leaders have given the impression that they're a tad enthusiastic in their defense of Islam ("British Teacher Home from Sudan: Gillian Gibbons, Muslim Clerics, and a Teddy Bear named Mohammed" (December 3, 2007).

On the other hand: destroying a free copy of the Quran? Get a grip! Giving a book away is not 'imposing beliefs' on someone.

In the Pieri's position, I'd have taken the Quran, and put it on the shelf with my father's copy. Or, rather, I would as soon as we have shelf space available. This household is in the process of merging my father's library with mine. There are piles of books on two levels of the house, at least: and my wife's none too happy about it.

Particularly since my father's copy may not be the best English translation around. That's something I'll have to research - later.

Get a Grip, People!

A free book isn't 'imposing' - at least not in my opinion. Jehovah's Witnesses, who go door-to-door in teams, and require firm handling to expel: that's "imposing." On my time and patience, anyway.

But, a free copy of the Quran? In English? That's not an imposition: that's a resource. I've read many books which had viewpoints and conclusions that I do not accept. But, I learned from them.

Books don't make you believe the ideas they contain. That's up to you.

Living in ignorance was never a priority for me: and it's difficult for me to understand those who seem to avoid learning about the world and people in it.

It's occurred to me that the Muslims in Scotland, and the easily-offended residents around Houston, could get together with like-minded people, and form a sort of self-help group. Perhaps an appropriate name would be People Offended Over Paltry Items and Events.

Seriously? As I wrote earlier today, "This is the twenty first century. The world is full of people who aren't exactly like each other.

Live with it."

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.