News and Views:
- "Discuss: The Mysterious Michelle Obama "Whitey" Tape"
WOAI.com (June 3, 2008)
- "Michelle Obama may have called white people "Whitey" during a church service. Larry Johnson at the "No Quarter" blog claims to have four sources that have confirmed the video exists.
- "The videotape purports to show Michelle Obama sitting on a panel with Louis Farrakhan at the then Jeremiah Wright-helmed Trinity United Church of Christ making racist remarks about white Americans, liberally employing the derogatory term ‘whitey’ while doing so.
- "If this story turns out to be true it only brings to light that the Obama's believe the values system of the Trinity church. More to come on this story later in the week...."
- "Killing "Whitey" or Not? Rightbloggers React to Michelle Obama Rumors."
Village Voice (May 27, 2008)
- "Here's as fine an example of message discipline as you're ever likely to see: Michelle Obama is rumored to have spoken negatively on a videotape about someone named "Whitey" (perhaps the beloved Dead End Kid played by the late Billy Benedict). Google Michelle Obama plus variations on the phrase "railing against Whitey" and you get (at the moment) thousands of results. Keep hype alive!
- "The rumor was promulgated by Clinton supporter Larry Johnson, but the response among online Clintonites has been disappointing: while some rose to the bait ("If it's true, I think the sooner it gets 'out there,' the better"), even at the large, and largely pro-Clinton, Talk Left the rumor was mainly restricted to reader comments.
- "But that's okay—rightbloggers are better at this sort of thing anyway, and in a series of posts last week improvised such fanciful changes on the rumor as would make Thelonious Monk sound like a lounge pianist....
Even Michelle Malkin seems dubious:
- "Where is the purported Michelle Obama 'whitey' video?"
Michelle Malkin (June 3, 2008)
- "Many readers are wondering why I have not written a single word about the rumored Michelle Obama 'whitey' video.
- "Simple: Larry Johnson, the main source of the rumors, is not, not, not to be trusted.
- "Moreover: The story keeps changing.
- "First, the rumor-mongers claimed, Obama appeared on tape with Louis Farrakhan. Now, the rumor is that the tape comes from this event where she appeared with Mrs. Farrakhan at a Rainbow/PUSH conference in 2004 (via reader Bill):...
Again, my usual disclaimer: this blog isn't political, but American leadership is - and this country is going to decide who sits in the Oval Office for the next four years.
As I indicated before, I'd be surprised if this video actually exists. Aside from the rumor getting 'better' with each retelling, I have difficulty believing that anyone so closely connected with a presidential candidate could be quite that stupid and/or daft.
Straight from My Imagination: Another Twist to the RumorSince it's pretty obvious that my views are not strictly liberal, and that this is a blog, I must be a 'rightblogger' - at least, to those people who see the world in terms of right and left.
As such, I feel obliged to provide another (quite imaginary) twist to the Michelle Obama "Whitey" video rumor. Try this on for size:
Although the rumors are presumably from a Clinton supporter, why not say that they're from a sort of 'black ops' section of the Obama campaign? It actually makes sense: spread this wild rumor, get the opposition whipped up to the point where they're making obviously crazy statements, and then demonstrate that there is no such video with the polish and eloquence that Barack Obama is so famous for.
No, I don't believe that for a moment. Aside from having no evidence, I think a ploy like that would be insanely dangerous. Besides, how could Obama prove that the (purported) video didn't exist?