Quite a few new outlets use the AP. A few might run an entire AP story, but in most cases, a news outlet chooses a its own headline, and edits the AP copy. For instance, headlines for the AP Hajj story included:
- "Millions mark annual pilgrimage"
(The Press Association)
- "Muslims mark hajj's spiritual high point"
(The Boston Globe's Boston.com)
- "Hajj Pilgrims Call for Unity Against U.S."
- "Muslims mark high point of Hajj"
I made up that "Muslims Chant 'Death to America! Death to Israel!' at Hajj" headline to
- Grab attention
- Show how a headline can be strictly accurate, but intentionally deceptive
So, as I've written before and will probably write again, When reading the news, read the news, not just the headlines - and think about what you're reading.