Friday, October 31, 2008

"Dear Mr. Obama" Iraq Vet Delivers Video Messages to Barack Obama

The "Dear Mr. Obama" video on YouTube is less than two minutes long.

BBC called it "short, simple and powerful." I agree.

It's also, at 11,000,000,000 hits and growing, the most-viewed election video on YouTube. I think you'll see why:


"Dear Mr. Obama"
YouTube (August 27, 2008)
video (1:55)

By some standards, it's pretty schmaltzy. These excerpts show what I mean:

"Dear Mr Obama having spent 12 months in Iraq theater I can promise you it's not a mistake..."

"...Iraqi people are just like us. They want a chance to live in a secure world, free from tyranny, free from terrorism, free to prosper, free to raise their children: pass on a future. Are they better off today, than they were in 2002? You bet..."

"...Do rescue a fireman just as he's about to save a child? When you call the Iraqi war a mistake you disrespect the service and the sacrifice of everyone who has died promoting freedom..."

"...Because you do not understand or appreciate these principles Sir, I am supporting Senator John McCain for president..."

"...Freedom is always worth the price."

All that stuff about freedom, and people being better off today than they were living under Saddam Hussein: As I said, in some circles it would be considered laughable.

Freedom: People Want it. Bad

About thirty years ago, I worked with people who had escaped some of the less pleasant corners of southeast Asia. One of them described how he had escaped, tucked into the bow of a boat, where the ropes usually go.

I learned from his, and others in his position, how much unpleasantness people will put up with to be free.

One more thing: the Iraq vet who made this video walks away from the camera after he's said his say. After a few paces, we see that he's missing something like half his left leg.

When he says, "Freedom is always worth the price" - I'm inclined to believe him.

In the news:

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.