Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Oh - His - God: Obama's Stature in the Press

I am not making this up.

"Evan Thomas, Hardball: Obama is our new world god"

995firefly4dr, YouTube (June 7, 2009)
video 0:37

" 'In a way Obama is standing above the country, above the world as a sort of god, he's going to bring all different sides together'..."

The quote is an excerpt from what was said in the video clip. I transcribed the 37 seconds:
"well we were the good guys in 1984 it felt that way - it hasn't felt that way in recent years, so Obama's had really a different task -ah- we wuh we have seen too often as the bad guys and he he has a very different job from from Regan was all about America. And he talked about it. Obama is 'we are above that now, we're not just parochial, we're not just chauvinistic, we're not just provincial, we stand for something - ' I mean, in a way, Obama is standing above the country, above above the world, he's sort of God, he's uh he's going to bring all different sides together." (transcribed from video clip of Newsweek editor Evan Thomas, on Hardball ca. June 7, 2009)
As a rule, I approve of a certain degree of respect for the office of the president, and even for whoever is currently in the Oval Office. But Mr. Thomas' estimate of the stature and status of the current president seems to me to be a bit excessive.

Perhaps President Obama's 'honeymoon' period with the press isn't entirely over.

As I've written before, this blog isn't political. But, since politics affects the War on Terror (which no longer exists, officially), sometimes I do touch on political matters.

And, this rather positive view of who - and what - Barack Obama is, might give some indication as to how news about the current American president should be interpreted.

Somewhat related posts:

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.