Tuesday, September 11, 2007

U.S. Abandons Sanctions! Plans to Bomb Iran!

It's not too unlikely that we'll be seeing headlines like that tomorrow.

Fact is, Germany decided they were making too much money, trading with Iran, and refused to cooperate with sanctions. Since Germany is one of three key European players in the deal, sanctions are DOA.

The article I used as my reference was much more polite about it, but that's the gist.

So, with Germany giving a no-go on economic sanctions, and religious fanatics in the process of making nuclear weapons in Iran, U.S. officials are working out plans for what would probably be a week of bombing. Presumably, Iran would be left with a nuclear program that was either years before its pre-deconstruction status, or non-existent.

The White House "has just about had it with Iran," an unnamed foreign diplomat said. "They tried the diplomatic process. China is now obstructing them at the U.N. Security Council and the Russians are tucking themselves behind them.

"The Germans are wobbling …There are a number of people in the administration who do not want their legacy to be leaving behind an Iran that is nuclear armed, so they are looking at what are the alternatives? They are looking at other options," the diplomat said.

Of course, it may be that Iran, with a fabulous over-supply of oil, desperately needs all that nuclear material to fuel reactors, for peaceful civilian purposes.

Or, maybe if a Senate committee wrote a nice, polite note and sent it to, Iran would promise to leave us alone.

Personally, I wouldn't count on it.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.