Thursday, September 20, 2007

Qods Day?

I'd appreciate getting help with my next post on "Another War-on-Terror Blog."

The government of Iran has made some interesting statements recently, involving "Qods Day," a day identified by IRNA as October 5, and October 12, of this year.

"Qods Day" does not appear on the Ramadan calendars that I'm aware of.

And, there don't seem to be many online references to the day, aside from a few blogs of varying reliability.

I did find one reference, "Cyclopedia of Missions: Containing a Comprehensive View of Missionary Operations Throughout the World" (Rev. Harvey Newcomb, Second revised edition, New York, Charles Scribner, 124 Grand Street MDCCCLX / 1860). The book is available in graphic format on Google Book Search. I haven't read the book, yet.

This excerpt involving Qod's Day appears on Google search results which lead to the book's facsimile: "... and on the day when this is done, the second day of the week, called Qod's day, they 'oner a fowl, or some other small thing of that sort, ...'"

Here's my question.

What is Qods Day?

Is it part of the Ramadan season? What is its significance?

I suspect that "Qods Day" is a Latinization of a term in Persian or Arabic.

I'd appreciate an answer from someone who follows Islam, ideally with reference to some authority.

Thanks!

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.