Thursday, February 14, 2008

What's in a Name? Hajj Imad is Dead,
Imad Hajj is Gainfully Employed

Okay, the terrorist's name is Imad Mughniyeh. But Hezbollah's head, Hassan Nasrallah, got quoted as saying "You have killed Hajj Imad outside the natural battlefield."

My guess is that "Hajj Imad" will stick in English-speaking brains better than "Imad Mughniyeh."

That's going to be a little confusing, since Hajj Imad, the Hezbollah leader, is dead: but the Chief Development Officer with a similar name at Thomas & Betts Corporation is alive and well - and possibly rather annoyed at this point.

I'll get back to the terrorist in another post.

Remember, while people were still picking pieces of other people out of New York City's rooftops and air conditioners, how crazy some got about the name "bin Laden?" And the word "laden," for that matter?

I seem to remember that an admirably cautious worker in Europe raised an alarm after seeing "LADEN" on a package. That made sense, sort of, considering the chance that envelopes with anthrax or boxes with bombs might be getting shipped.

On the other hand, seeing "LADEN" on something being shipped in Europe shouldn't be too unusual. In German, "laden" means charge, shop, load, or loading: among other things.

Today, Hezbollah leader Hajj Imad is in the news.

I'd like to think that most people will have the good sense to realize that someone with a similar name may have no connection whatsoever with terrorism.

But there always seem to be that special few, generously endowed with enthusiasm, and uninhibited by common sense, to add a note of irrelevance and annoyance.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.