Monday, July 9, 2007

"The Enemy of Your Enemy is Your Friend"

Now, that's something you don't see every day. The Arab League is sending representatives to Israel to discuss "a sweeping Arab peace initiative."

I'd be more impressed, if I hadn't been reading about plans for a "lasting peace in the Middle East" most of my life. I also remember the Six Day War and read about the Arab League's 1948 declaration of war on Israel.

(I try to give online references when possible, but this time it was a bit challenging to find something pallatable for the general online population, but still mildly objective. I settled for references that seemed only slightly into the it's-Israel's-fault camp.)

Not to seem pessimistic, but it would be very remarkable if a resolution between the descendants of Abraham's sons, Ishmael and Israel, came within my lifetime. In fact, that 37-century-old family feud shows little evidence of being ready to end.

Still, the Arab League's move is impressive. As USA Today reported, The Arab League "historically has been hostile toward the Jewish state," but has been getting a trifle more friendly "given the expanding influence of Islamic extremists in the region — a concern underscored by Hamas' violent takeover of the Gaza Strip last month."

Good for the Arab League. Even if they're only following the adage, "the enemy of your enemy is your friend," they're showing good sense.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.