Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mark Deli Siljander: Former Congressman,
United Nations Delegate, and
Possibly a Shill for Terrorists

I think that respect should be extended to people in public office, as a recognition of the importance of their position.

I also think that members of Congress should not hide behind the 'separation of powers' principle. They're as likely, or unlikely, to commit crimes as anyone else.

And with the access to sensitive information and high-level contacts they've got, a rogue member of Congress can be a very big problem.

Remember, in the months after September 11, 2001, how classified information just happened to show up in the news after members of Congress got their hands on it? And the fuss lawmakers raised, when the FBI asked them to take polygraph tests?

I understand how important it is to keep one branch of the federal government from interfering with another. I also think that somebody's got to be able to check up on members of Congress.

For example, there's Mark Deli Siljander. He represented Michigan as a Republican in the House Representatives from 1981 to 1987. Then President Reagan made him a United Nations delegate for a year.

Mr. Siljander seems to have been busy since then. He's been charged with
  • Money laundering
  • Conspiracy
  • Obstructing justice
Just because he allegedly lied about taking money for lobbying senators for the Islamic American Relief Agency (IARA). The problem isn't that the IARA is Islamic: it's that they're most likely sending money to terrorists. The IARA gave money to Mr. Siljander, too: including $50,000 that was stolen from the U.S. Agency for International Development.

So What?

Being a member of Congress doesn't protect people from making bad decisions: and it shouldn't protect them from being subject to the laws that they, and the Supreme Court, make up for the rest of us.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.