Thursday, December 20, 2007

Muslims Chant "Death to America! Death to Israel!" at Hajj Part 2

The previous post uses an Associated Press (AP) news story as its source.

Quite a few new outlets use the AP. A few might run an entire AP story, but in most cases, a news outlet chooses a its own headline, and edits the AP copy. For instance, headlines for the AP Hajj story included: I've written about headlines before. This time, I'll try to be brief.

I made up that "Muslims Chant 'Death to America! Death to Israel!' at Hajj" headline to
  1. Grab attention
  2. Show how a headline can be strictly accurate, but intentionally deceptive
The headline is 'accurate' - there were Muslims chanting "Death to America!" and "Death to Israel!" at Hajj. But the headline gives a very biased impression. About 1 in every 10,000 Muslims engaged in Hajj this year were at the Iranian rally.

So, as I've written before and will probably write again, When reading the news, read the news, not just the headlines - and think about what you're reading.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.