Monday, December 3, 2007

Good News for Infidel Teacher:
Still No News on Anti-Islamic Teddy Bear

Good news: The Sudanese president has pardoned Gillian Gibbons, that British school teacher who spread hatred for Islam by letting her class of seven-year-olds name a teddy bear after one of their classmates.

I know that description of her "crime" sounds crazy, but don't blame me: a Sudanese Islamic court thought it up.

The pardon came after Sayeeda Warsi, Lord Nazir Ahmed, and Omar al-Bashir talked the matter over. The first two are British members of parliament, the third is the president of Sudan. They're all Muslims.

I still haven't learned what happened to the teddy bear.

Another thing: I understand that Islamic belief holds that it's wrong to depict the prophet Mohammed. What I haven't read is an explanation of why it's okay to name a boy "Mohammed," but it's not okay to name a teddy bear "Mohammed."

It's particularly puzzling, since boys are notorious for finding ways to get into trouble, and teddy bears are known for not misbehaving.

Finally, I think this is a good example of just how hate-filled and anti-Islamic western powers are:
  • Baroness Sayeeda Warsi?
  • Lord Nazir Ahmed?
  • This is oppression of Muslims?
I hope that Gillian Gibbons gets back to Liverpool in good health.

Posts on "British Teacher Home from Sudan: Gillian Gibbons, Muslim Clerics, and a Teddy Bear named Mohammed"

Related posts, on Islam, Christianity, Religion, Culture and the War on Terror.
Related posts, on tolerance, bigotry, racism, and hatred.

No comments:

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Blogroll

Note! Although I believe that these websites and blogs are useful resources for understanding the War on Terror, I do not necessarily agree with their opinions. 1 1 Given a recent misunderstanding of the phrase "useful resources," a clarification: I do not limit my reading to resources which support my views, or even to those which appear to be accurate. Reading opinions contrary to what I believed has been very useful at times: sometimes verifying my previous assumptions, sometimes encouraging me to change them.

Even resources which, in my opinion, are simply inaccurate are sometimes useful: these can give valuable insights into why some people or groups believe what they do.

In short, It is my opinion that some of the resources in this blogroll are neither accurate, nor unbiased. I do, however, believe that they are useful in understanding the War on Terror, the many versions of Islam, terrorism, and related topics.